Dr. Roberta Fedele
With over 15 years of experience as a clinical psychologist, I specialize in using psychodynamic and relational psychotherapy to treat adults and children with a wide range of difficulties.
The approach I take is collaborative, and typically, a client's therapeutic journey begins with a few preliminary exploratory meetings with an aim of gaining an understanding of the problem and mutually agreeing on a treatment path - determining achievable objectives and milestones along the way.
For children and adolescents below the age of 14 years, my therapeutic program includes a preliminary intake session with parents, three meetings with the child/ teens and a restitution/ feedback session again with the parents. For teens ages 15 years old and above, the parent intake session needs to be evaluated on a case-by-case basis, and the time of the restitution session with the parents also needs to be discussed. The purpose of the restitution session is to share my clinical observations with the parents, present some explanations about the child’s behavior and set up the next steps. For example, this could mean beginning an individual child therapy session, or, arranging monthly meeting with the parent(s) only, as a parental support program that could be defined together.
With adult clients, I can treat a range of issues, ranging from generalized Anxiety to panic attacks, to adjustment disorder, OCD, bipolar, depression, relationship difficulties, personality disorder, psychosis, difficulties in dealing with childhood trauma and personal experiences.
My approach to therapy is most appropriate for individuals who are willing to accept and gain a deeper comprehension of themselves and their behaviors; those who are open to exploring the reasons behind certain issues and thus process these emotions, acknowledging the role emotions play in their lives; and individuals who are interested in discovering and developing their deeper self, and their purpose in life. My approach to therapy may not be best suited for those who are only seeking specific tools and strategies, or for practical techniques and exercises.
For parents, my therapeutical approach is best suited to parents who are struggling with their children and wish to understand more about why the children have developed that kind of issue; for parents who wish to be involved and cooperate in their child’s path and treatment, and for those who have been seeking help for a long time without
finding any solution.
For Child & Adolescent:
- Behavioral and emotional issues including lack of impulse control, video game addiction, kleptomania, truancy, bullying, lying, aggression, displaying of inhibited introvert behavior as well as inappropriate childish behavior, tantrum, emotional and behavioral detachment;
- Attachment and mood disorders including depression, emotional and social withdrawal, isolation and suicide attempts and suicidal thoughts,
- Phobias and anxiety including ranging from generalized social anxiety and phobias to extensive OCD, fear of darkness, separation anxiety issues
- Pre and post adoption support, or support coping with parental divorce.
- Trauma therapy following physical and sexual child abuse
- Panic attacks
- Adjustment disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Relationship difficulties
- Personality disorder
- Difficulties in dealing with childhood trauma and personal experiences.
- Parenting strategies, supporting spouses
while going through separation, divorce, adoption and single-parenting.